20 December 2010

Feet! Legs!


I've always thought feet were strange (especially mine)... and our lesson on the foot structure confirmed this thought! Feet are very strange. And they have a lot of bones. But anyway, one week in class we focused on the legs and the feet, doing some long poses that I enjoyed very much. It took a lot of measuring, erasing, and help from Amy to finally get my drawing to look correct. I am still working on going slow and taking the time to measure and map. I am realizing that I am very impatient when I draw, and I want to get the form down so I can spend a lot of time fully looking over the detail of the entire figure. However, when I rush through the outline and the main form of the figure it is most often incorrect and after Amy's corrections it is so clear how much better the figure looks. Although I am gaining more confidence in gestures and finding correct proportion in the model, it is a challenge for me to incorporate that skill into the long drawings. I am used to drawing the way that I've always drawn, and I know that old habits die hard. Which is exactly why I need to work on starting out loose, and really looking at the entire figure and mapping out the body before I begin to draw detail.
I had a good time drawing the long pose of the foot, because I had a lot of time for one specific area, and I could look at the detail. The only problem was that it was hard to even pinpoint what the contours of the foot were doing and where to place the lines on my paper. I somewhat followed shadows and visual lines that I could clearly see, but again, I felt like I was playing a guessing. Drawing the foot and trying to think about the inner structure was a challenge. I hope that practice will eventually make... closer to perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment