20 December 2010

Long Model Pose...



The second half of the semester has flown by, and although it seems like we have had less class time spent drawing gestures and models, our understanding of anatomy and our skill with the figure has improved, at least in my opinion. A couple weeks after our midterm we got to do a long pose one of the female models. She sat above us, on a chair with her feet propped up so that we could get a good view of her legs (we had been learning and focusing on the legs and feet).
For some reason I really loved this pose. It was an interesting angle, one that we hadn't seen before. However, the proportions were really difficult to draw correctly. Again, it took a lot of erasing and careful measuring to get all of the angles and sizing right. My drawing would have definitely looked a lot different, and worse if we didn't have an instructor to point out the faults (thank you, Amy!). It was a little frustrating to have to do all of this re-drawing and constant checking, when I just wanted to get to the form and complete the overall drawing. But when I finished this drawing (or rather, ran out of time) I realized that it was a stronger piece because of all the early mistakes. My vine charcoal left a nice blurred feeling around the figure, grounding it and adding more interest than a clean, orderly contour drawing.
I think it shows in this drawing that I am able to start loosening up. Here I spent more time really looking at the human body and showing an overall sense of the figure. Although there is room for improvement, like always, I was happy with what I achieved during this week and the drawings I had to show my progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment