21 December 2010

H A N D S



Two weeks ago in class we talked about HANDS! How to describe my experience with drawing hands... Well, in the past, when I have paper and a pencil and not much to draw, I would often look at my left hand and do a little detailed drawing of it. I thought I was pretty familiar with hands. My freshman year at Stout, in Drawing One, we did a hand study that I remember enjoying. But it was also very outlined, more focused on the image and expression than anatomy. However, when we got a lesson on hands in class, I was baffled at the way the bones in the hand truly look and function. It is a lot harder to try and look at the hand and think about the way the bones are working underneath the skin and muscle. When we started sketching our classmates' hands, I still was a little lost, and simply drawing what I saw, like I used to. But when I did this I found myself frustrated, because it was hard to make the hand look correct and proportionate by only trial and error. Amy came around to look at the drawings, and she showed me how to draw the planes of the fingers (so they don't look like carrots, like mine did HA) and of the hands. On this day I realized I have a lot to process and study, so that my understanding of hands becomes better and comes naturally in drawing from life.

(Amy's corrections)

No comments:

Post a Comment